International FAQ


Q1. Does UNO offer English as a Second Language (ESL)?
Answer: No, but we do offer a full-time non-credit intensive program that is available for those who need to sharpen their skills before commencing a degree program. For More information on the Intensive English Language Program please visit us at

Q2. What is UNO's academic calendar?
Answer: UNO divides the academic calendar into semesters. The Fall semester begins in late August and ends in early December; the Spring semester begins mid-January and ends mid-May. The Summer session begins in June and runs through July. Two intensive three-week mini sessions also operate during the summer.

Q3. What is the grading system at UNO?
Answer: At the end of each semester your instructor will evaluate your work and award a letter grade of A (excellent), B (good), C (fair), D (minimally passing) or F (fail).

Q4. Are computers available for student use?
Answer: There are computer labs available across campus.

Q5. Are there extracurricular activities available on campus?
Answer: There are always a wide range of activities, from intramural sports to guest speakers, available on-campus. The Campus Activities Office offers current listings. There are also a number of community publications which discuss what is going on in the city and surrounding areas.

Q6. Once I arrive on campus, will there be someone to address my questions and concerns?
Answer: Absolutely! Experienced staff from the Office of International Students and Scholars are ready and eager to assist you in becoming familiar with the city, campus and American way of life. They will also assist you with any immigration questions or problems and offer support in cross-cultural adjustment, family and financial concerns, academic matters, and other personal concerns.

Q7. Are there organizations specifically designed for International Students?
Answer: Yes, there are both campus and local community organizations. For complete listing of UNO organizations can be found at

Q8. Is there an on-campus library?
Answer: Yes, UNO's Earl K. Long Library is the heart of the academic community. It's collection of scholarly and professional books and periodicals now total over 550,000 cataloged printed volumes, 250,000 uncatalogued governmental documents, and over one million pieces of micro-format.



Q9. Will the Admissions Office know how to evaluate my credentials?
Answer: Yes, UNO is experienced in evaluating foreign credentials. However, if you are transferring from a foreign university you must have your transcripts evaluated by a NACES accredited foreign evaluation service. You may find a listing of these organizations here:

Q10. When will I receive my I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility?
Answer: All students who meet UNO's admission requirements and have completed, to our satisfaction, the Statement of Financial Support will be mailed an I-20 or DS-2019 with their admission letter.

Q11. Must I be enrolled in full-time study?
Answer: Yes.  Immigration regulations require students in F and J visa to enroll in at least 12 credits for undergraduate career and at least 9 credits for graduate career each semester.

Q12. Do I need to submit a course syllabus or school catalog describing the content of my course work and examinations?
Answer: A catalog or syllabus would be of great help in the evaluation of college records and may be required in certain cases.


Funding Opportunities

Q13. Are financial aid programs or scholarships available to international students?
Answer: Scholarships are available to international students but not the Federal Financial Aids. You can visits Aids and Scholarships page under Admissions Overview to get more information. Please contact us as for more information.

Q14. When are the University fees paid?
Answer: In general, fees are paid after registering for classes. In some cases, UNO may require a tuition deposit prior to a student arriving on campus. Please visit for additional information about fees and payment deadlines.

Q15. Can I work while I attend school?
Answer: Yes, students may work on campus up to 20 hours a week. However, campus employment is difficult to find. Permission to work off campus must be granted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and is given in only specific situations.

Q16. Will I be able to establish a checking and savings account in New Orleans?
Answer: Yes. There are a number of local banks which provide these services as well as a credit union on campus. Students may request a bank letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars to facilitate opening an account.


Housing & Health Services

Q17. Are students required to live on campus?

Answer: All first time students are required to live on campus. Your housing will be conveniently located near all classes and dining facilities. Campus living affords you the opportunity to form new friendships and participate in a
variety of residence hall programs. If you are to live on campus, please note that housing is limited and the rooms in Pontchartrain Hall or Privateer Place are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. It is important to reserve your room early.

Q18. Are all international students required to buy health insurance?
Answer: All international students in F and J status are required to purchase health insurance and are automatically billed for these charges each semester.  For information on health insurance requirements and the process to request a waiver of the insurance fee, see

Q19. Who is required to show proof of immunization?
Answer: Louisiana law requires new UNO students to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, and tetanus. If you were born before 1957 you need only satisfy the diphtheria-tetanus requirement. Although this information is not required for admission to UNO, it must be submitted to the Office of Student Health Services before registering for classes.

Q20. Do I have to purchase a meal plan if I live in Pontchartrain Hall?
Answer: Yes. (A meal plan purchase is not required if you live in Privateer Place).