Frequently Asked Questions

1. When will my financial aid post to my account?

Contact Us

Lakefront Campus, AD 1006
New Orleans, LA 70148
Phone: (504) 280-6489
Fax: (504) 280-5430

University Office Hours:

Monday through Friday:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Additional Contact Information

Admissions Office:
Phone: (504) 280-6227
Admissions Website

Financial Aid Office:
Phone: (504) 280-6603
E-mail: or
Financial Aid Website

Graduate School:
Phone: (504) 280-6237
Graduate School Website

Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA)
Phone: 1 (800) 259-5626 ext. 1012
LOSFA Website

Office of the Registrar:
Phone: (504) 280-6216

Office of International
Students and Scholars (OISS):
159 Milneburg Hall
Phone: (504) 280-6021
OISS Website

Student Housing
Phone: (504) 280-6402
Student Housing Website

If you have been awarded financial aid, the fastest way to accept your award is via online. Once your award has been accepted, it will appear on your fee bill.

2. I have not received information concerning my T.O.P.S. scholarship. Who do I contact about this?

If you have NOT received an award letter from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) stating you are eligible to receive TOPS.

If you HAVE received your letter from LOSFA and TOPS has not appeared on your fee bill within 10 days, it is possible that the Financial Aid office is waiting for LOSFA to send confirmation of your eligibility. You should continue to view WebSTAR to confirm your award status or contact the Financial Scholarship Office.

Notice: If a TOPS award is applied to your account and you are later deemed ineligible by LOSFA, you will be responsible for fee payment.

3. What do I do if my financial aid is not posted by the
payment deadline?

If your financial aid does not appear on your fee bill by the payment deadline, you will be responsible for making the minimum payment to retain your schedule.

4. Does financial aid offer deferments?

Please contact the financial aid office to inquire about their
deferment policy.

5. Who do I contact if my financial aid originally posted for one amount and was then adjusted to another?

Financial aid is initially awarded to students with the assumption that they will be registered with a full time course load. Adjustments are made after the last day of late registration to reflect the student's correct eligibility.

6. The financial aid I received is not the amount I was expecting. Who do I contact about this?

For questions concerning financial aid award totals, please the Office of Financial Aid.

7. Can I use my financial aid to pay for a parking decal?

If you have excess financial aid posted to your student account, you can use the extra funds to pay for a parking decal. A student must fill out a Title IV Authorization Form and have the decal charge posted to their fee bill in order to have this complete.

8. If I drop classes during the semester, will my financial aid
be reduced?

Dropping classes excessively will impact a student's financial aid eligibility. If a student completely withdraws from the university, he/she may be subjected to the "Return of Title IV Funds Policy". This information may be found in the Holds, Wthdrawals and Fees
section of this website.

9. Who do I contact if my Graduate Assistant Exemption is not posted to my account?

First, contact your department to ensure you are coded as a graduate assistant and the necessary paperwork has been given to the Graduate School. Next, contact the Graduate School Office to make sure all necessary paperwork has been processed and forwarded to the Scholarship Office. You should contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any further questions.

10. Does the Bursar office offer a payment plan?

The Bursar's Office offers a payment plan only during the Fall and Spring semesters. You can use the Extended Payment Plan Option (EPPO) to pay tuition and fees if you are in good financial standing with the University. If you choose to use the EPPO, a minimum payment of 50 percent of the total charge is required by the designated payment deadline to complete registration. The remaining balance will be due on October 1st for the Fall term and March 1st for the Spring term.

11. How can I get a Bookstore Voucher?

To receive a Bookstore Voucher, students must meet the criteria listed on the Bookstore Voucher page. The last date to use a Bookstore Voucher is the last date a student can add classes for the semester.

12. My diploma fee is not posted to my account. Who do I contact about this?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar.

13. When will housing post my dorm and meal charges?

Please contact Student Housing.

14. Can I receive a copy of my transcript while paying on a past due balance?

No. A past due balance must be paid in full in order to receive an official transcript.

15. Who do I contact if I am a Louisiana resident and I am being charged out of state fees?

If you are an Undergraduate Student, you will need to contact the Office of Admissions.  If you are a Graduate Student, you will need to contact the Graduate School.  

16. I am an international student and have my own health insurance. Where do I turn in my insurance information?

International students who have their own insurance must submit all paperwork to the Office of International Students and Scholars. The deadline to submit the necessary paperwork is the 7th class day of each semester.

17. I purchased books with a bookstore voucher but withdrew and never attended classes. Will my financial aid still pay for these books?

Since enrollment impacts your financial aid eligibility, your aid will be adjusted or taken away completely. Whatever charges that are not covered by financial aid will be the students responsibility.

18. Will I be charged tuition and fees for an audit class?

Tuition and fees for audit classes are the same as enrolling in a credit course. Non-resident students will not be assessed the non-residency fee if the audit course is your only class.

19.Will my institutional scholarship pay for an audit class?

Please be aware that institutional scholarships will not cover an audit course for undergraduate students. For any questions regarding institutional scholarships, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

20. Why is my meal plan not activated?

You must first pay your minimum balance due. Once this minimum balance is satisfied, please notify the Office of Bursar Operations to activate the meal plan.

21. My scholarship does not appear on my fee bill. Who do I contact about this?

If you have NOT accepted your scholarship offer, you should accept your scholarship via the on-line link provided in your offer letter. Your award will be posted within 3-5 business days.

If you have ACCEPTED your scholarship on-line or returned a signed copy to the Financial Aid Office, you should contact the Financial Aid Scholarship Unit after 3-5 business days from the acceptance date.


If you are an incoming student, you should contact the Admissions office for scholarship inquiries at
(504) 280-6595.