Degree Requirements | Engineering (M.S.)

Degree Requirements

After admission, students are required to select an area of concentration (either civil/environmental, electrical, mechanical, or naval architecture and marine engineering). A choice is provided between (i) a thesis or a research program, calling for 30 hours of graduate credit, including six hours of thesis research; and (ii) a non-thesis option, requiring 30 hours of graduate credit, including a three hours of masters-level project.

Concentrations are allowed in the following areas:

  • Civil/Environmental Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering


Applicants seeking admission to a graduate program in engineering must have received a bachelor’s degree in a field of engineering from an ABET accredited engineering or closely related program or, in the case of foreign students, must present evidence of an equivalent preparation. Furthermore, applicants are expected to have a grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better for undergraduate work and all graduate and post-bachelor work. Applicants who have an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis which will include a review of their last 60 hours of engineering course work and GRE scores. In addition, the student is required to complete the GRE prior to consideration with scores indicating that the student will perform well in a strong graduate program.

Furthermore, all students must complete all requirements for the graduate courses in which they wish to enroll, and must meet any additional general requirements as stipulated by the Graduate School and the College of  Engineering.

Applicants without an Undergraduate Degree in Engineering

Applicants with Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, the sciences, or other undergraduate degrees will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Such students must complete a core program specific to each department including any prerequisite for each or pass the equivalent credit examinations with a grade of “B” or better. Such students would be best advised by the particular department in which they seek to enroll.